The project is to develop an area of land into a comprehensive hangar park that can be used for a variety of aviation purposes, as well as light industry type activities such as storage. This is an important project for the Airport, as in the aviation industry it has been proven that a successful hangar development is one of the key ways to enhance financial security at airports.
The project is about the optimisation of underutilised land which has clear public benefit important for two key reasons – it will unlock new income stream while also giving the Airport the ability to accommodate a variety of uses beyond aviation such as light industrial activities and storage.
This is important for Rotorua as it would bring much needed industrial land to the Rotorua market which is currently undersupplied. There is simply no “ready-to-go” fit for purpose industrial land and this would provide an attractive location for many commercial/industrial activities. The project elements are;
- Three waters infrastructure + power + fibre.
- Amenity enhancements such as planting, pavement design etc.
- Hangar construction – different typologies based on demand
The project is shovel ready because the project has been underway for over two years and:
- It is proofed through a comprehensive master planning and business case process.
- The area identified to be developed for hangars is specifically designated for that purpose under the Rotorua District Plan.
- The development of the Airports land is also identified as a key component in supporting growth in the Rotorua Lakes Council Spatial Plan.
- There has been developed design of the precinct lay-out plus four different preliminary plans for hangars. Preliminary civils design has been also been undertaken.
- Early engagement with civil contractors and traditional building contractors has been undertaken and an RFP to secure a preferred contractor(s) is about to go to market.
The RMA and planning regulatory environment the airport operates within largely allows for a range of complementary activities to the airport and its surrounding environment. This is because of an airport designation, which allows for a wide variety of aviation related land uses and activities. The Airport is also zoned as Industrial in the District Plan (parts are Industrial Zone 1, others are Industrial 1E).These zones enable a wide variety of business, industry, and manufacturing activities to be established on site